Friday, April 17, 2015

Short Film: Pioneer


"Pioneer" Written & Directed by David Lowery



"Pioneer" is a very sweet film about a man who tells his son a tall tale about how he met the boy's mother and became his father.  The film's tender, intimate atmosphere woven by the man's hushed storybook tone holds our attention firmly despite the fact that the film consisting entirely of dialogue. 


In an interview with Filmmaker Magazine he explains “I reached a point in the script where it became very difficult, I was trying to make it an action movie, but I wasn’t sure why I wanted to make the story. So I did what I always do when I’m fed up, which is go for a run.” While jogging, Lowery came up with the idea for Pioneer “The whole story erupted in my mind,” says Lowery. “It was just there.”

"Pioneer" became something of a sensation on the festival circuit back in 2011, and Lowery credits the short film as having helped him draw the industry recognition that ultimately allowed him to make his 2013 feature film Ain’t them Bodies Saints starring Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara.  According to Lowery, having a short film shot in the same spirit as his script had been written helped studios justify taking a risk on the director. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...